Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Comment: The Effects of Using English as the Medium of Instruction for Mathematics and Science in Primary School

The first time WE heard the suggestion from the GOV to use English as a medium of instruction for Math and Science subjects, we both thought, "Oh dear!..this will definitely bring a problem afterwards...=(". It seemed to me that the Gov was desperate to improve the English usage in this country and they insisted to proceed it with these reasons in mind:
1. To strengthen the foundation of gaining the knowledge sources in Math and Science since the reference materials for both subjects are widely available in English and

2. To enhance the capability of using English and therefore mastering it as a second language

AND our early prediction now has been proven by the recent research conducted by a team of researchers from UPSI. The research entitled "The Effects of Using English as the Medium of Instruction for Mathematics and Science in Primary School" was lead by Prof Emeritus Dato' Isahak Harun. The data were established from students of standard 5 and the samples were taken from various primary schools within three main locations: city, big town and rural area.

It sadden me as I read throughout the report presented by the team. The main findings of the research revealed that the use of English as the main medium for teaching Math and Science subjects was undoubtedly, failed. Furthermore, it was found that the students especially Malay and Orang Asli were facing difficulties to understand the questions or instructions in English. The students achievement in the Math tests as depicted in the figure below was taken from the above research findings.




I don't intend to comment further on the above research findings as I believe, my blog readers are more critical thinking than I am. Nevertheless, I just want to voice out my opinion in this matter from my very own perspective.

Let me bring you guys back to the past. My next door neighbour which is happened to be my mum's 3rd cousin already married and is blessed with 2 children(and now three). Each time when I went back home for semester break, she would send, both her elder son, Akip and the little sister, Pika to my mum's house straight after finishing the Quranic class. I was asked to teach her children in Math and English homeworks. I took no bills for that as it was more like teaching your own brothers or sisters in study. So why should I charge her for that?

From time to time, I heard a loads of complaints from her husband, Usu Jelani upon the use of English in these two subjects. At that time, I tried to convince him that this is for good reason. When the semester break was over and I was back in Parit Raja, I would receive several calls from Mak Usu asking me for instance; What this instruction means: "Round of these numbers to the nearest tenth". Thank God Mak Usu finished her secondary school and at least able to read the sentences in English though not really understand the meaning. So, I tried to help to the best I could.

The situation narrated above was real as it occurred 3 years ago. I saw the struggles of Akip and little sister Pika to understand and catch up the learning pace in English-oriented system. This has low down the confidence level and study-esteem in Akip himself which eventually brought him to the state of bored; he found that Math subject was boring because he could not understand the meaning! I was not blaming him for this as he still a child and not mumayiz yet. He still couldn't differentiate which was good or bad though you already told him a few times. Therefore, interesting games(related with these subjects) always help to enlighten his spirit and boosting his hidden critical mind when studying these subjects.

Big Brother Akip with my sec sis

There will be numerous reasons why the implemented scheme proposed by the Gov couldn't achieve to the satisfactory level. However, the main reason which is close to what my neighbour has suffered is because the English usage is not practice daily within the family itself. You see, they live in kampung, so do I and therefore, I understand that without everyday practice, it's difficult to master the English. As an old saying,"Melentur buluh biar dari rebungnya" and therefore, being exposed to the daily English in early stage for example; 2 or 3 years may beneficial beforehand.

But the real issue now is: How can they being exposed to the use of English words if their parents are not mastering the language itself? And the second issue is: even the teachers are also struggling to use the English in class since all of them underwent the Bahasa system during their kiddos lives!

Contrary to expectations, the scheme should deal with realistic situation confront by the lower-class citizen. Indeed, English is vital since learning sources are mostly in English basis and is important when communicating with others. Therefore, from the standpoint of my own experience, maybe a dual-language can be used...Well, at least, it opens more flexibility in learning process. At the same time, extra English classes should be conducted from time to time. Meanwhile, teachers also should be sent to English classes frequently to brush and sharpen their knowledge though it's easy now to get the free and reliable sources of learning English via internet!

But what if for instance; The Math test results illustrated above were actually direct consequences of laziness and lack of competitiveness and self-awareness to advance own selves? To me, these are just a bunch of mere excuses created by people who believe that everyone is super-duper 101% excellent! These children need to be pushed always, give sincere motivation and also advices, not put them aside and just have a full concentration to the brilliant one!

1 comment:

  1. nida, terkezyt sungguh aku bace post ko tue. sunnguh kecian kanak2 zaman sekrg. pengalaman aku ajar student kolej komuniti, depe nak elak dr diajar mgunakan bi. sbb depe susah nak faham.

    ko ade artikel tu tak. klu ade, share kat aku.. aku nak bace laaa... thanks

    ReplyDelete